Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Stop it.

I hate it when people dismiss something as being "emo." I hate that word. It makes a stereotype that degrades some people who might have a real problem, or a legitimate concern. It makes things sound ridiculous when they might not be, and that can be dangerous.

I thought of that because my friend recently described The Perks of Being a Wallflower as possibly too emo for him to reread. I really love that book and don't think it's "emo" in the sense that people now use it in. And it just got me thinking about all the times I had heard that word used to describe something that it shouldn't have been used to describe. People are getting too cavalier with their use of that word, and it makes me mad. Not everything is emo. Find another way to express your feelings for whatever it is you're describing.

No comments: